Michael Brendan McElroy (born May 18, 1939) is the Gilbert Butler Professor of Environmental Studies at Harvard University. His research initially revolved around the origin and evolution of the planets to an emphasis on effects of human activity on the global environment of the Earth, especially climate change.
McElroy has worked in atmospheric science at Harvard, and leads atmospheric science and policy work. He heads Harvard University's Center for the Environment and chairs the Interfaculty Initiative on the Environment. In 1984 he won the George Ledlie prize for his work on planetary atmospheres. He served as Founding Chair of Harvard's Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences and has focused his research especially on effects of human activities on the global environment.
- Energy: Perspectives, Problems, and Prospects. (2010) Oxford: Oxford University Press. ISBN 9780195386110
- The atmospheric environment : effects of human activity. (2002) Princeton: Princeton University Press. ISBN 9780691006918
- Energizing China: Reconciling Environmental Protection and Economic Growth, co-authored with Chris P. Nielsen and Peter Lydon. (1998). Harvard University Center for the Environment, China Project. ISBN 978-0674253292
- A 1984 paper he co-authored with Steven Wofsy and Michael J. Prather on potential non-linear destruction of the ozone layer helped persuade the United States Environmental Protection Agency to carry out a risk assessme nt of chlorofluorocarbons that laid the groundwork for the negotiation of the Montreal Protocol.
- McElroy, Michael B.; Wofsy, Steven C.; Penner, Joyce E.; McConnell, John C. (January 1, 1974). "Atmospheric Ozone: Possible Impact of Stratospheric Aviation". Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences. 31 (1): 287–304. Bibcode:1974JAtS...31..287M. doi:10.1175/1520-0469(1974)031<0287:AOPIOS>2.0.CO;2. ISSN 0022-4928.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences (elected 1972) 
- Royal Irish Academy (elected Honorary Member, Science 2009]
- "Michael McElroy". Harvard University. The President and Fellows of Harvard College. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences member profile  accessed 6 June 2022
- Michael McElroy - The Mathematics Genealogy Project accessed 6 June 2022
- Möller, Detlev (1999). Atmospheric Environmental Research: Critical Decisions Between Technological Progress and Preservation of Nature. Springer. p. 15. ISBN 978-3-540-63559-8. Retrieved April 24, 2011.
- McElroy, Michael B. "Michael B. McElroy CV" (PDF). Harvard University. Retrieved December 31, 2019.
- The Modern Scholar: Global Warming, Global Threat Audible Book ASIN B0002T8XKI
- 'Fueling the Planet: The Past, Present, and Future of Energy. (2009) Audible Book ASIN B0032COUZ4
- American Academy of Arts and Sciences member  accessed 6 June 2022
- Royal Irish Academy honorary member  accessed 6 June 2022